Outdoor Families Magazine is offering our most comprehensive outdoor gift guide ever. Outdoor gift ideas for hikers? Check! Outdoor gifts for backpackers? Check! Family gift ideas for campers? Yeah! Outdoor gift ideas for boys? Yep! How about gifts for outdoorsy girls? You betcha! The goal? To make sure you can find the best outdoor family gifts for everyone on your list, from trail runners and fort builders to backpackers and mountain bikers.
It’s safe to say we could all benefit from getting outdoors. Taking a look back, we saw the magical importance of practicing Japanese forest bathing after researchers proved that a leisurely (screen-free) walk in the woods boosts vitamin N, lowers stress levels, boosts the immune system, and just makes any adventurous family feel supremely better. We don’t need science to back this up, though. In fact, a few of our friends and family fear we may pack up and go full-on “Walden” on them, at a moment’s notice.
| Related: The Ultimate Family Car Camping Checklist |
We know you’re here because you love to gather together outdoors, but before that, there is gear to be patched, outdoor adventure trips to prepare for, and STEM-learning curriculum to plan. These outdoor family gift ideas aren’t just suited to the solo teenage thru-hiker, or the 3000-mile family trekkers. Below, you’ll find our gift ideas for outdoor enthusiasts we’re sure your entire family will love.
We all get outside in our own unique way, and so we have curated thoughtful outdoor gifts with a range of adventure-inclined folk in mind (yes, we’re looking at you, glampers!). We’ve got gift ideas for car-camping families, too, like a top ten best family camping tents that go for under $100. Whatever type of nature immersion you seek, this year’s best outdoor family gifts will get you trail-ready, rain or shine.
80+ Best Outdoor Family Gift Ideas
The first gift on our outdoor family gifts list is for everyone; the wild child, the nature lover, the outdoor admirer! We absolutely LOVE these signed, limited edition, fine art nature prints from Kerem Hanci Photography. So, bring the beauty of the outdoors inside to brighten up any space!
The Best Outdoor Photography for Your Walls
Kerem Hanci Photography
The first gift on our outdoor gifts list is for everyone; the wild child, the nature lover, the outdoor admirer! We absolutely LOVE these signed, limited edition, fine art nature prints from Kerem Hanci Photography. So, bring the beauty of the outdoors inside to brighten up any space!
Outdoor Family Gifts Buying Guide Sections:
- Adventurous Kids
- Nature Books For Kids
- 10 Best Family Camping Tents Under $100
- Adventurous Moms
- 10 Best Kid Bikes Under $100
- Adventurous Dads
- 10 Best Portable Water Bottles Under $40
- 10 Best Trail Running Shoes for the Whole Family
The Best Outdoorsy Necklace
Silver Mountain Peak Pendant Women’s Necklace
This Mountain Peak Pendant necklace, is the perfect gift for the outdoorsy woman in your life. Its delicate and minimalist snow-packed peaks whisper to any nature lover, “the mountains are calling.”
- Handmade item
- Solid sterling silver
- Length: 18 inches
- Closure: Lobster claw
- Style: Minimalist
- Chain style: Cable
- Delivered in a beautiful organza gift bag
There’s an ever-growing body of research which supports the importance for kids to regularly get active, get outside, and get in touch with mother nature. We now know that fresh air is not just good for the well being of an adventurous kid, but fundamental to their development, helps them connect to the world around them, and provides beneficial opportunities to learn about risk.
If you want to encourage someone you know to get out, get active and adventure then we’ve got some great outdoor family gifts ideas that we hope may help nurture and encourage their adventurous kid spirit and develop a richer appreciation and deeper roots to nature.
| Related: Family Camping Checklist 101 |
If you’re looking for inspiration for outdoor gifts for that special adventurous kid in your life, you’ve come to the right place.
Your Adventurous kid can build a mega fort with this set of 18 Stick-let connectors. Made to turn one of kids’ most time-honored, favorite, renewable toys—the stick—into a building toy.
- Set of 18 connectors for kids constructing with sticks made of flexible silicone
- Comprehensive building kit
- Build forts, toys, animal habitats, geometric shapes, and more
- Connector colors include: 3 Birch Bark White, 3 Grasshopper Green, 3 Huckleberry Blue, 3 Starfish Red, 3 Pardon My Purple, and 3 Monarch Orange
- Great for 1–2 builders, includes tote bag and pamphlet
This wooden building set is a beautiful oversized heirloom puzzle blocks set that is absolutely stunning. It is a puzzle to solve or a large building blocks set.
- Represents the 4 Elements: Air, Fire, Earth, & Water
- Combine well with other building blocks, especially the other “4×4” (4 cm thick) blocks from Grimm’s
- Includes wooden tray to use as a building platform or for storage when playtime is over; tray measures 18-inches square
- Handcrafted in Germany from sustainably harvested natural wood and finished with certified safe, non-toxic, water based dyes (no worrisome paint or lacquer)
This simple Newtonian reflector telescope on a rotating tabletop stand makes it easy to view the night sky. FirstScope is a perfect option for any entry-level astronomer.
- 76mm aperture reflector optical tube
- Quality Dobsonian-style telescope features a 76 millimeter optical tube with enough light gathering ability to view all the best celestial objects like the rings of Saturn and the Orion Nebula
- Moveable tube for ease of navigation for viewing
- Lightweight, portable
- Two eyepieces included
Turn any environment into a playground with this slackline designed as a complete kit specifically for beginners. Featuring static-style material with rubber grip, an overhead guide line with arm trainer and carry bag, the Play Line makes learning simple.
- Fully adjustable and easily installed between any sturdy anchor points
- Includes slackline, ratchet tensioner, tree protection, help line, and carry bag
- Comes with 8 feet of webbing and a reinforced loop to firmly anchor and tension the slackline
- Beginner webbing with rubber grip is optimized for quick and easy learning
Waldorf Dolls are loved by young and old the world over. These high quality, natural fiber dolls are lovingly hand-made in Europe by Grimm’s Spiel & Holz in the Waldorf tradition with simple features that capture the essence and innocence of the young child.
- A family of 10 small Dwarf dolls in a delightful rainbow of colors, made from Oeko-Tex (organic) cotton.
- Dwarfs in this set have no beards, so they could be dwarf children or women
- Handcrafted in Europe using traditional techniques and all-natural materials
- Each doll has a weighted base (of quartz sand) to help them easily stand up
Inspired by real owls, this one-piece design features a hood printed with eyes and a beak. Snug finger loops help kids keep wings outstretched and ready for flight!
- Fantasy owl wings for kids’ dress-up play
- Feature unique movement similar to a real owl’s movement
- Includes hood printed with eyes and a beak
This kit teaches kids critical understanding of how technology works in order to make sense of our environment and invent the future. The Piper Computer Kit comes with everything you need to assemble your own computer.
- Hand-crafted wooden computer case with lcd screen monitor
- Raspberry Pi Edition of Minecraft adventure play with hardware components and challenges
- Wifi enabled gameplay for extra levels and sharing capabilities
- Electronic gadgets including led lights, motion sensors, buzzers, buttons and switches
- Self-contained computer running on a raspberry pi 3 project board – 1gb ram – 1.2Ghz quad-core CPU
There’s no need for a hammer and nails in order to have a great backyard treehouse! The award-winning TreePod brings the magic of a treehouse fort to your adventurous kid and families everywhere.
- Attaches to any hanging point using durable webbing and a steel quicklink; The fabric is treated with a durable water repellent and a UV-coating for additional sun protection
- Features a zip-up door and mesh windows offering a ready-to-use hideaway adventurous kid will adore while effectively keeping bugs, debris, and foul weather out
- Designed so it can be taken down quickly and tag along anywhere; Ideal for camping, neighborhood parks, play dates, or BBQs
- Fully set up, the TreePod is 7.5ft (2.28m) tall by 5ft (1.52m) wide; Maximum weight capacity is 500lbs (226kg); Kit includes the Pod, sewn guy-lines, frame poles, steel quicklink, and ground stakes
Designed for young archers ages 8 through 12 who are taking steps to progress their skills. Constructed to meet both ATA and AMO standards, the Tomcat 2 meets the mark in accuracy and precision, while still maintaining a manageable 17- to 22-pound draw weight.
- 17-22 LB Draw Weight
- 20-22 inch adjustable draw length. Adjustable in 1″ increments
- Right Handed Bow with 60%-70% let off
- 3 Pin Fiber Optic Brightglo Sight
- Accessories include Soft Touch finger rollers and two arrows
11. A Year of School
During a humanitarian emergency and its aftermath, education can help save a young boy’s life. A safe learning environment in places like Congo and Syria can provide children with a sense of normalcy, helps them to heal from trauma and protect them from abuse and exploitation. Being in a classroom gives conflict-affected children hope as they continue to learn and plan for a brighter future.
In 2015, the IRC helped to educate more than 1.3 million children around the world. $58 can supply the tuition, books and other supplies a boy needs to attend school for a year.
Go Back to the Top
Buying a family camping tent can be a serious investment and prices range from very low to very high. Then you have to consider the variety of materials, ease of setting up, and how many people need to fit inside. That is a lot of information to sift through which makes the whole process daunting. Key factors of utmost importance are material (since you want something that will outlast a rain storm or high winds), waterproof flooring, and good ventilation.
| Related: The Ultimate Car Camping Checklist |
Camping has always been a popular pastime for families so it is important to make the outing as pleasurable as possible. Nobody wants to have to leave the campsite early because the tent fell apart and you certainly don’t want to end up covered in mosquitoes every night as you sleep. Checking for tents with insect mesh is a must given the diseases those little guys like to carry. You can get tents for all numbers of people and surprisingly, the larger ones are not always the most expensive. You can find very reasonably priced tents for a family of 4, without losing quality and durability, so don’t leave it off of our outdoor gifts shopping list.
Family Camping Tent Buying Guide
We have compiled a list of the top 10 family camping tents on the market that are under $100 because we know you don’t have to be a millionaire to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. Our outdoor gifts list includes tents that are lightweight, easy to carry and stow away, can accommodate numbers from 2 to 4, and provide the best weatherproofing. We want your camping experience to be enjoyable for the whole family, so this list is a great place to start.
Size: 78.8x 78.8x 51.2 inchess
Material: polyester with fiberglass poles
- Perfect for 3-4 adults
- Durable sturdy 190T PU fabric rain fly and waterproof Oxford fabric floor with fully taped seams
- Tent is easy to set up and fold up. Ideal for Camping, Hiking, Traveling!
- Great ventilation, insect screen with two zippers
- Package included: 1 x Tent, 4 x Wind Rope, 1 x Carrying Bag
Size: 108 x 84x 59 Inches
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- Sleeps 4 people comfortably
- Stretch Out in Roomy Interior 4-person tent measures 9 ft. x 7 ft. with a 4 ft. 11 in. center height. Fits 1 queen-size airbed. Also available in 2-person, 3-person, and 6-person sizes.
- Keep Cool Two large windows and a ground vent allow for improved air circulation, helping you enjoy a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
- Stay Dry The WeatherTec system’s tub-like floor uses patented corner welds and inverted seams to help keep water out. Plus, with the hooded rainfly, you can leave the windows open even during downpours.
- Organize Small Items Keep small necessities within reach and off the floor so they don’t get trampled with mesh pockets conveniently sewn into the side of the tent’s walls.
- The best family tent has quick set Up. Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves mean you only have to feed the poles once, shrinking setup time to just 10 minutes.
- Pack Up with Ease When it’s time to head home, the tent easily fits into the included carrying bag, which also expands with a rip-strip for extra storage.
- Floor 1000D Polyethylene, prevents water seeping in om rainy days
- Electric access port for your devices. specifically your kids’ devices, makes it the best family tent
Size: 94.4 x 82.6 x 53 inches
Material: Polyester with fiberglass poles
- The best family tent is Super easy to set up and take down in only 60 seconds. Unique and fantastic design
- 24-hour customer support, 30-day money back guaranteed, 2-year limited warranty
- Inner tent with dual doors, can accommodate at least 2 adults
- Includes tent, rain fly, tent stakes,wind rope and carry bag for easy transport
- Rain fly can be used separately as a wayside pavilion with the groundsheet,fishing awning, canopy
- Carry bag for easy transport
- The best family tent is high quality and durable with sturdy 190T PU fabric rain fly and waterproof 210D Oxford fabric floor with fully taped seams.
- Inside pocket in the walls to store small items and valuables
Size: 82 x 64 x 46 inches
Material: Nylon and aluminum poles
- Comfortably holds up to 3 people
- Rain fly vented roof, durable aluminum tipped tent poles and double zippered doors
- Lightweight and compact when folding, perfect for backpacking
- Easy to set up and holds an air mattress with room to spare
Size: 82″L x 82″W x 49″H
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- Pneumatic Hydraulic design enables quick opening with folding locks for the frame
- Outer tent for sunny days and inner tent for the rainy ones
- Comes with a portable buggy bag for easy transport
- Waterproof and anti-UV fabric
- 2 large D-shaped doors with olive buckles for easy entry and exit
- Complete with Makino 2 Year Limited warranty
Size: L x 82.7″ W x 51.2″ H
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- Perfect for up to 3 persons
- Works in all seasons, with sun and rain protection and efficient ventilation
- Remavable polar fleece ground sheet is included for the living area
- Has a screened in porch for additional space
- Easy to set up and dismantle as well as compact for easy storage and carrying