by Tina Kusal – Buying the best family tent for car camping, bike camping, or family backcountry backpacking can be a serious investment and prices range from very low to very high. Then, you have to consider the variety of materials, ease of setting up, and how many people need to fit inside.
That is a lot of information to sift through which makes the whole process daunting. Key factors of utmost importance that identify the best family tent are material (since you want something that will outlast a rain storm or high winds), waterproof flooring, and good ventilation.
| Related: The Ultimate Car Camping Checklist |
Car camping has always been a popular pastime for families, so it is important to make the outing as pleasurable as possible. Nobody wants to have to leave the campsite early because the tent fell apart and you certainly don’t want to end up covered in mosquitoes every night as you sleep.
Checking for tents with insect mesh is a must given the diseases those little guys like to carry. You can get car camping tents and family backpacking tents in all sizes and surprisingly, the larger ones are not always the most expensive. You can find very reasonably priced tents for a family of 4, without losing quality and durability, which is one of our favorite money-saving family camping tips.
Best Family Tent Buying Guide
You want the best family tent, so we have compiled a list of the top 10 family camping tents on the market that are under $100 because we know you don’t have to be a millionaire to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. We also have a great list of our favorite camping backpacks if you’re thinking about giving family backpacking a try.
Our Best Family Tent list includes the best car camping tents, the best tents for rain, and family backpacking tents that are lightweight, easy to carry and stow away (which makes family camping storage and organization easier) can accommodate numbers from 2 to 4, and provide the best weatherproofing. We want your family camping experience to be enjoyable for the whole family, so this list is a great place to start, especially if you’re first-time campers.
* Purchase through our affiliate links and help keep our lights on without any extra expense to you!
Size: 78.8x 78.8x 51.2 inchess
Material: polyester with fiberglass poles
- High Quality: Durable sturdy 190T PU fabric rain fly and waterproof Oxford fabric floor with fully taped seams. 7.9mm fiberglass poles and dome tent construction making it one of the best tents for rain
- 3-4 Person: Tent with a door and a window, can accommodate at least 3-4 adults
- Convenience: Each tent comes with a portable bag, making it easy to pack and go. Tent is easy to set up and fold up. Ideal for camping, hiking, traveling, which makes it the best family tent!
- Tent Size: 78.8x 78.8x 51.2 inches / 200x 200x 130 cm Package Size: 24.4x 5.9x 2.7 inches / 62x 15x 7 cm Package Weight: 3.7lb / 1.7kg
- Package included: 1 x Tent, 4 x Wind Rope, 1 x Carrying Bag
Size: 108 x 84x 59 Inches
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- Sleeps 4 people comfortably and is the best car camping tent
- Stretch Out in Roomy Interior 4-person tent measures 9 ft. x 7 ft. with a 4 ft. 11 in. center height. Fits 1 queen-size airbed. Also available in 2-person, 3-person, and 6-person sizes.
- Keep Cool Two large windows and a ground vent allow for improved air circulation, helping you enjoy a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
- Stay Dry The WeatherTec system’s tub-like floor uses patented corner welds and inverted seams to help keep water out. Plus, with the hooded rainfly, you can leave the windows open even during downpours, making it one of the best tents for rain
- Organize Small Items Keep small necessities within reach and off the floor so they don’t get trampled with mesh pockets conveniently sewn into the side of the tent’s walls.
- The best family tent has quick set Up. Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves mean you only have to feed the poles once, shrinking setup time to just 10 minutes.
- Pack Up with Ease When it’s time to head home, the tent easily fits into the included carrying bag, which also expands with a rip-strip for extra storage.
- Floor 1000D Polyethylene, prevents water seeping in om rainy days
- Electric access port for your devices. specifically your kids’ devices, makes it the best family tent
Size: 94.4 x 82.6 x 53 inches
Material: Polyester with fiberglass poles
- The best family tent is super easy to set up and take down in only 60 seconds. Unique and fantastic design
- 24-hour customer support, 30-day money back guaranteed, 2-year limited warranty
- Inner tent with dual doors, can accommodate at least 2 adults
- Includes tent, rain fly, tent stakes, wind rope, and carry bag for easy transport makes it the best car camping tent and one of the best tents for rain
- Rain fly can be used separately as a wayside pavilion with the groundsheet,fishing awning, canopy
- Carry bag for easy transport
- The best family tent is high quality and durable with sturdy 190T PU fabric rain fly and waterproof 210D Oxford fabric floor with fully taped seams.
- Inside pocket in the walls to store small items and valuables
Size: 82 x 64 x 46 inches
Material: Nylon and aluminum poles
- FEATURES include: Rain Fly Vented Roof Two Durable ALUMINUM Tipped Tent Poles Screen and Solid Zippered Doors making it one of the best tents for rain
- EASILY holds three full size adults. Comparable to Coleman and Alps Mountaineering! The best family tent!
- 4 Metal Stakes INCLUDED! Open Dimensions: 85 x 85 x 52 inches, Pack Dimensions: 4.1 x 4.4 x 23.9 inches / 5.4 lbs
- The best family tent, PERFECT for any outdoor trip, backpacking or car camping adventure. The lightweight design and is very compact when folded at a mere 5.4 lbs.
- GREAT 4 person backpacking tent that can be easily packed for your trip! Easy to set up with Winterials aluminum poles!
Size: 82″L x 82″W x 49″H
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- The best family tent for 3 Seasons, 100% Polyester cloth and B3 Nylon airy mesh. Dimensions:126*63*53inches ; Weight: 7.7lbs; Packing dimensions: 24*5.5*5.5inches.
- Professional Waterproof Tent fabric – By a Professional Water Testing, Flysheet & Inner Backpacking Tent Waterproof Index is 1000mm / B3 Nylon Airy Mesh, Good ventilation cycle system & With high-strength 7001 aluminum poles which is why it’s one of the best tents for rain
- Awning Ventilation System- One side of Rainfly has a dual-zipper vestibule as an Awning when set up with poles and windropes, to Increase ventilation. The doors can be rolled up to enjoy Cool & Comfortable when it’s not raining.
- Classic Interior & Exterior Camping Tents Design – Roll up tent with the door supported by holders, Convenient and Comfortable. Brace Type Windows are at the top of the Tent, with closeable ventilation skylight makes it the best car camping tent.
- GUARANTEE: 1-Year limited warranty with Friendly, Easy-to-Reach Customer Service team.
Size: L x 82.7″ W x 51.2″ H
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- Dimensions: (porch) 51.2″ + (tent) 82.7″ L x 82.7″ W x 51.2″ H
- Materials: (flysheet) Polyester W/ Polyurethane (PU) Waterproof Coating; (inner) Polyester; (floor) Oxford Polyester W/ PU; (poles) 3 Shock-corded Fiberglass; All Seams Taped
- Removable Polar Fleece Ground Sheet Included for Living Area
- Durable Layered Design Contributed to Waterproofing
- The best family tent is deal for Backyards, Patios, and is one of the best car camping tent options out there
Material: Polyester cloth andNylon airy mesh
- Durable sturdy 210T PU fabric rain fly(PU4000mm) and waterproof 150D Oxford fabric floor(PU5000mm) with fully taped seams. 8.5mm high-strength 7001 aluminum poles and dome tent construction, B3 Nylon Airy Mesh, good ventilation cycle system
- One side of rainfly has a dual-zipper vestibule that doubles as an awning when set up with trekking poles and windropes to increase ventilation. the doors can be rolled up in the cloudy day, enjoy cool & comfortable
- It can enhance ventilation and offer easy access, but close the outer layer, it can be used as storage room for shoes & backpack. Outer door curtain ban be rolled up and fixed with buckle making it the best car camping tent
- All doors have two-way zippers, convenient and comfortable. Brace type window, outside the tent top has two closeable ventilation skylight; One person can install the tent easily and quickly. Topnaca two three four man/person tents for car camping, hiking, traveling, family, beach, hunting
- The best family tent comes with the Topnca Advantage: Topnaca is a registered trademark protected by US Trade mark Law. We stand behind our products and provide a 15-day money-back guarantee for any reason and 12-month warranty for quality-related issues
Size: 137.8 × 94.49 × 55.12 inches
Material: Anti-tear polyester and aluminum poles
- Designed with air-hydraulic technology, the best family tent sets up in seconds for instant shelter for two or three people in a variety of environments, any time of year
- Mesh fabric walls provide excellent interior ventilation and keeps bugs out. An included rain fly provides protection against rain and sun with UV- and water-resistant polyester construction
- Unfold the tent at your car camping site and engage the pneumatic hydraulic device to lift the tent into position. Once you’re set up, store small items in the storage bag and hang a light from the hook
- Compact and lightweight, this shelter is easy to transport, packing neatly in its own carry bag. Use the rain fly independently as a freestanding pavilion for a picnic which is why it’s the best car camping tent
- Each box includes one tent that opens to 84.6 inches wide, 78.7 inches long, and 57 inches high, with a rain fly, carrying bag, and eight tent stakes
Size: 7.5 x 7 x 24.5 inches
Material: Polyester and fiberglass poles
- WeatherTec system’s patented welded floors and inverted seams help to make it one of the best tents for rain
- Spacious interior, room to move, Dome design for quick, 10-minute setup. Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves for easy setup
- The best family tent has a fully-covered vestibule for dry entry and added wind protection near the door. Full rainfly for protection from the cold, sun, wind and rain
- Full-mesh inner tent for incredible ventilation. 9 ft. x 7 ft. footprint, 4 ft. 10 in. center height
- 1-year limited warranty
Size: 50 x 45.3 x 85 inches
Material: polyester with aluminum poles
- LIGHT WEIGHT BACKPACKING TENT – This dome camping tent weighs 6.2 lb, with Floor Dimensions 79″x79″, Peak Height 50″. Great for your backpacking & hiking trip. It can sleep 3 normal size adults, or 4 slim adults comfortably.
- TWO DOOR DESIGN & BIG FRONT VESTIBULE – The best family tent has two doors so that occupants aren’t crawling over each other to enter or exit. The front door of the fly is double zippered on the sides, can extends to make a porch with the help of your walking sticks. Perfect for your backpacks, hiking boots, and other camping gear.
- EASY SET UP & DOWN – One person can finish the set up in about 5-10 minutes. The easy-to-pitch design uses 2 poles of equal length and snappy clips for quick setup. The tent attaches to tent poles via clips so you don’t have to push it through sleeves, which is probably the most convenient thing!
- GREAT VENTILATION & WEATHER-PROOF – It’s a 3 season tent but it can also be used as a winter camping tent with sleeping bags! With the tent being mainly mesh screen, there isn’t even any condensation. The fully seam-taped construction and rainfly keep the weather outside. The best car camping tent can be well ventilated or closed down for cold night, and keep you dry even in the downpour also making it the best tent for rain
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE – We stand behind our tents and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee for any reason and 12-month warranty for quality-related issues.
Check out more family camping essentials and outdoor gift ideas in our Outdoor Gift Guide.
*All listed prices were confirmed at time of publish and are subject to change.
Tina Kusal grew up in England and has traveled extensively through Europe, Asia, and Australia. She works as a freelance writer, blogger, and author. She lives in Los Angeles, California with her son and is always ready for the next adventure.