Looking for the best kids water shoes on the market today? Look no further! We have carefully and thoughtfully reviewed more than 30 different kids swim shoes and boiled it down to these top 10 best kids water shoes for all the adventurous infants, toddlers, and older children in your family because quality outdoor gear is a gift worth giving.
All kids love jumping in rain puddles, splashing in ocean waves, following the family dog through mountain streams, and conquering exciting river rapids. And protecting their feet from jagged rocks and hot sand could mean the difference between an awesome day of adventure and a miserable one.
| Related: 10 Best Trail Runners For Kids |
First things first. Decide what type of kids water shoes you’ll need, weight the options, and make a decision that perfectly suites your family’s needs. That’s where our kids water shoes buying guide comes in handy because as adventure parents, we have enough decisions to make and choosing the best kids swim shoes for your infant, toddler, or older child doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task any longer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.
3 Types of Kids Water Shoes
There are 3 types of kids water shoes on the market today:
1. Aqua Socks: This type of kids swim shoe generally offers a skin-tight, neoprene, slip resistant foot covering that keeps the warmth in and the sand out, preventing chafing on your child’s sensitive skin. An aqua sock sole tends to be thinner, providing less protection from the elements underfoot and is best used for in-the-water activities like kayaking, canoeing, and jet-skiing.
| Related: Getting Kids Out On The Water Safely |
2. Water Shoes: Very similar in design to typical shoes, kids water shoes are made of plastic, mesh, or some other quick-dry, breathable material. Kids water shoes offer a thicker sole and reinforced toe to provide better foot protection. They are perfect for summer hikes that may include water crossings and creek play.
3. Water Sandals: Water sandals are very similar to the kids water shoes, but without the addition of a reinforced toe. They tend to be more breathable, allowing water and air to move more freely in and out of the water sandals.
How to Buy the Right Kids Water Shoes
Primary Use: Where will your child use their water shoes? If you’ll be on the powder white sand beaches of the Caribbean, aqua socks or swim shoes may be a perfect choice, to shield tiny toes from the hot sand.
If you’ll be fishing the wild rivers of Alaska, they might benefit from a kids water shoe that offers more foot protection. And if you’re family will be lounging lakeside, water sandals may be just right, offering underfoot protection but allowing the water to flow easily through their toes.
Material: Most kids water shoes are made out of synthetic fibers that do a great job at repelling water. For hiking through mountain trails with water crossings, a pair of breathable, well-ventilated kids water shoes with an out-sole that can absorb all the shocks is preferable. But, when you are in the pool or ocean, kids will appreciate lightweight, quick dry swim shoe materials that allow for unhindered movement while submerged underwater.
Sole Thickness: If the chances are high that your child will be using their water shoes as an everyday shoe, or if they’ll be using them in locations known for sharp or uneven terrain, choose water shoes that have a thick, solid sole for maximum protection. Conversely, if your early-walking toddler, who is still getting the hang of things, wants to investigate sea glass on the beach, you might want to choose something, like a swim shoe, which is less bulky and clunky, to help them keep their balance.
10 Best Kids Water Shoes Under $50
We have compiled a list for you of the top 10 best kids water shoes that are affordable and durable because we believe quality can come at the right price.
* Purchase through our affiliate links and help keep our lights on without any extra expense to you!
- Lightweight IMEVA for weightless comfort and quick dry
- Alternative closure to provide a precise and secure fit with easy on/off
- Soft EVA molded footbed for all day cushioning and comfort
- 0mm heel to toe drop for barefoot feel
- Flexible non-marking outsole with M Select GRIP for superior traction
- Recycled rubber outsole
Price: $14.97 – $16.99*
- WEAR IN WATER: Little ones can wear these swim shoes in the pool, ocean, lake or even while taking a shower. These water shoes are waterproof and fast-drying.
- MAXIMUM PROTECTION: Sturdy and durable rubber sole protects their soles from blazing hot sand and pavements, rocks and sharp sea shells at the beach.
- PERFECT FIT: Adjustable Velcro strap offers a secure fit. They can run, jump, skip and their water shoes will stay put on their feet.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: These swim shoes are lightweight and breathable and your child will want to wear them all summer long.
- ASSORTMENT OF COLORS & PRINTS: Choose from the multiple nautical themed prints and colors available.
- 100% Polyurethane
- Synthetic sole
- Pool or beach sandal
- EVA upper
- Hose off or machine wash Quick dry to prevent sogginess and smell
- Secure bungee closure for sneaker-like fit
- Offers a generous fit
- Patented design
- Kids water shoes for boys and girls with easy-on adjustable power strap
- Rubber traction on outsole for non-slip bottom
- Sewn in tongue and color for enhanced comfort and fit
- Washable materials for easy cleaning
- Imported 100% Vegan: made without the use of animal products
- Clarino upper
- Quick-Dry EVA footbed
- Adventure kids water sandal for boys and girls with Velcro® closure
- Approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association for promoting healthy foot development
- Flexible rubber sole
- Clarino upper
- Breathable neoprene lining
- Machine washable
- Flexible material for easy on & off
- Protects toddler’s feet in & near water
- No-slip soles for traction on slippery surfaces
- Quick-dry material for active play
- Coordinates with iPlay. Swim & Sun Wear
- Washable polyester webbing upper
- Non-marking rubber outsole
- Quick-dry lining for active use
- Metatomical EVA footbed
- Hook and loop strap over instep
- PFC-free materials
- Secure fit lace capture system
- Rubber sole provides good traction and protection for kids during all aquatic adventures
- The neoprene upper, with its sock like fit and breathable mesh side panels keeps the foot comfortable, cool, and drying quickly
- Machine washable or hose off and quick to air dry
- Adjustable velcro closure and heel pull tab make these kids water shoes a breeze to put on
- The protective slip-resistant sole and quick-dry body make these a must have summer swim shoes for active children
- MATERIAL – Uppers: 92% Polyester + 8% Spandex, Soles: Thermo – Plastic – Rubber
- COMFORTABLE – Soft soles and elastic breathable upper make your feet feel very comfortable
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Ultra-light weight makes you feel like there are nothing on your feet
- SAFETY – High quality rubber soles protect your feet from being hurt by sharp things
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL – You can wear these kids water shoes in a variety of occasions; swimming, beach sports, river tracking, and more
- Australia’s Favourite Swim Shoe! Protect little toes against hot sand, sharp rocks, & slippery bits
- Made from soft, thick, 3mm neoprene
- Soft, non-slip sole specifically designed for early walkers
- Super comfortable with an extra thick sole and pliable neck to prevent rubbing and chaffing
*All listed prices were confirmed at time of publish and are subject to change.