by Stephanie Harper – There’s nothing better than laying your head down to rest on a camp pillow that resembles a puffy cloud of softness after spending the day adventuring outdoors. Making an investment in a comfortable camp pillow means an investment in your family’s happiness because let’s face it, there comes a time when we all have to upgrade from sleeping on a jumbled up down jacket.
When you finally find the best camp pillow, you’ll think to yourself, “Why did I wait so long?!” It’s a simple, affordable way to level up your whole family’s camping comfort and worth every single penny.
If you’re not sure what to look for in a camp pillow, check out the camp pillow buying guide before making a decision, as well as our list of the five best camp pillows, and get ready for dreamland.
Camp Pillow Buying Guide
Compressible Versus Inflatable Camp Pillows
The first question one might ask is whether to buy the inflatable camp pillow or the compressible style. Inflatable camp pillows are easy to blow up (usually with only a few breaths), and are compact and quick to set up. Compressible pillows are made of material that allow the pillow to puff up on its own while inflatable pillows are usually lighter in weight. They also fold down smaller than their compressible counterparts.
Camp Pillow Comfort
If you’re willing to make the switch to a camp pillow, comfort is definitely a top priority. Be sure to rest your head on one before you purchase and check to see the composition of materials–the softer, the better. Inspect the pillow for tags or toggles in the space where your head will lay. If it’s inflatable, does it will make any noise as you sleep?
Camp Pillow Support
The main component to support is how you’ll feel the next day after using it and if you’ll want to use it again in the future. Some pillows may be moldable or foldable to adjust to your liking. Notice any ridges or custom stitching, slip resistant, and shaped pillows for extra lumbar and neck support. If the pillow is too bulky, it may take up too much space in your sleeping bag and place of storage. If it’s too small, your head may roll off.
Camp Pillow Ease of Use
Opening up a camp pillow, inflating it, and getting back in it carry case should all be a breeze, not a tedious or difficult task.
These four tips will make it easier for you to find and choose the best camp pillow for you and your family, so you can rest easy in the great outdoors. Now on to our list of the top 5 best camp pillows!
* Purchase through our affiliate links and help keep our lights on without any extra expense to you!
5 Best Camp Pillows
Price: $14.97 – $58.35*
- Very light with soft foam filling
- Camp pillow packs down small
- Foam filling expands to 4 inches thick
- Upcycled filing of Therm-a-Rest mattresses
- Compact and has elastic pull cord compression when not using it
- Brushed, soft polyester outer shell folds into itself for storage
- Lighter than a bottle of water
- Ergonomic, inflatable camp pillow design with extra neck support that cradles the head
- 1 click, 3-5 breath system to inflate
- Added layers for water protection
- Stuff sack included
- Soft, brushed polyester
- Camp pillow compresses small
- Envelope-style flannel shell
- Stuff sack included with barrel-lock drawstring
- Machine washable
- Brushed Poly-knit material
- Comes in two sizes
- Inflate in a few breaths and inflation valve
- Scalloped bottom edging
- Contoured camp pillow shape to cradle head
- Drawstring stuff bag included
- Luxury camp pillow foam with air insulation for moldable comfort
- Inflate/deflate with valve
- This inflatable camp pillow packs smaller than a water bottle
- Lightweight camp pillow design
- Soft, removable pillowcase
- Machine washable
- Integrated camp pillow stuff sack
Originally from the Bay Area, CA, Stephanie now resides in the mountains of Asheville, NC with her 4 children, husband, black lab Gus, and Russian grey cat Marley. She is a writer and blogger at Raising Kids Wild and loves to run and hike.